Profile of an Event Planner: Shalana Waterman
Today we “teleport” you to the beautiful island of Barbados to meet with Shalana Waterman, Owner and Creative Director of Shalana Waterman Designs. She shares her thoughts on event planning, the future of the event industry and how she maintains a work-life balance.
1. Shalana, what are your areas of specialty:
Wedding and Event Design, Styling and Coordination
2. Tell us about your work:
An innovative, customized and passionate approach defines our work. We take a very personal interest in each of our clients with a strong focus to bringing their dreams and visions alive through our work. We count ourselves successful only when we are able to interpret the wishes and desires of our clients and then use our expertise and design perspective to deliver.
3. How did you start in the event industry?
We started quite by accident. We were not meant to be decorating an event but as fate would have it, we were assisting a friend to do so. After, we received such glowing compliments and at the same time realizing how much we enjoyed the process, continued down this path. We have not looked back since.
4. What is the last book you have read or are reading now?
The book I am reading now is called Sapiens: A brief history of mankind. It is an Obama recommended book that gives a sweeping look a mankind from throughout history; the similarities and references to today are remarkable. In today’s unpredictable world, it provides some semblance of predictability.
5. Coffee or tea?
6. What is the biggest issue facing the event industry today?
The events industry is constantly changing. Within this industry we must find new ways to be innovative and continually deliver the very best to our clients.
7. How do you unwind after work or an event?
I love to spend time in my garden after an event. The sunshine, trees and flowers put me at ease. I find pulling weeds from my lawn or garden beds extremely relaxing.
8. Favourite venue or destination to attend an event?
I love the vibe at the The Shard London. Any beachside venue in Barbados is also a favorite.
9. What TV shows are a MUST SEE for you?
Reality TV is a MUST for me. Although of late, I am very tuned in to CNN or MSNBC.
10. If you could go back in time what advice would you give your younger self?
With God, Anything is possible
11. Finish this sentence:
“Nobody knows this about me, but … I’m an introvert.”
Thanks for sharing Shalana.
Latest posts by Alicia Roachford Brathwaite (see all)
- 6 Things you may not have known about the Markham Fair - 27/09/2018
- Barbados Gospelfest is ‘here to stay’ - 02/06/2018
- Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Release Official Royal Wedding Photos - 21/05/2018